Remote Conference Captioning
Remote Conference Captioning (RCC)
Remote Conference Captioning (RCC) offers real-time captioning through the use of Communication Access Realtime Translation (CART) service, allowing individuals who have difficulty hearing what’s being said over the phone during conference calls to read text of what all participants are saying. This service provides a clear understanding of what’s said and allows the individual with hearing loss to participate in conference calls in a more effective manner.
How RCC Works
- The RCC user will receive a link in order to view text. A computer or mobile device along with an Internet connection is required.
- The captioner will need access to the audio portion of the call through either an audio conference line or other method.
- Once the call is connected, the captioner listens to the conversation and produces real-time streaming text, which is sent over the Internet. The text shows up just seconds after someone has spoken.
- At any time, the RCC user can scroll up to review text.
- The RCC user will receive a raw unedited transcript from the captioner within one full business day.
Technical Requirements to use RCC
- Audio conference line or virtual connection access for the captioner so they may listen to the audio portion of the call.
- A computer, tablet or smartphone with access to the Internet.
There is no software to download in order to use RCC and access to RCC services will be available via link provided.
Scheduling Request Form
You must be a resident of the state of California to use this service. To request the RCC services, please complete the RCC Scheduling Request Form. After submitting the form, you can expect an email confirmation within one business day indicating that your request was received. If you require assistance with RCC, please email Customer Care at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RCC service is available from 8am – 5pm PST Monday through Friday.
The California Deaf and Disabled Telecommunications Program still has a financial responsibility for meetings not cancelled within one full business day of the scheduled request. Failure to cancel could potentially result in suspension of RCC privileges for the participant.
|RCC SERVICE||Cancellation Time|
|RCC Events 4 hours or longer||5 Full Business Days|
|Multi-Session RCC Events||5 Full Business Days|
|All Other Events||1 full Business Day|